Postdoctoral Fellow in Cognitive Neuroscience
Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
The Higher School of Economics Centre for Cognition & Decision Making of the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of [computational and mathematical approaches to understanding neural function and cognition at Theoretical Neuroscience Group (TNG).
Research interests of the TNG at the Centre for Cognition and Decision Making are wide ranging, carried out in collaboration with the experimental labs at the Center. Current research topics include computational psychiatry, computational neuroeconomics, information processing in neurons and circuits, as well as role of oscillations in cognition. The candidate will have the opportunity to further define and expand the Group’s research programme.
We are seeking highly qualified and motivated candidate with backgrounds in quantitative disciplines: applied mathematics, physics, computer science or engineering. Knowledge of biology, neuroscience and ability to work with data is highly desired.
Candidates will be trained in model building, analysis and will be offered advanced training in neuroscience and cognitive psychology. Candidates will have an opportunity to develop independent research projects and collaborations under the direction of the group leading scientists.
The TNG is a structural part of the HSE’s Centre for Cognition & Decision Making with ample collaboration opportunities within the Centre with other research groups, both within Russia and internationally. This new international group is tightly linked with the Group for Neural Theory at the Ecole Normale Superior in Paris, where research internships and visiting positions can be made available.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
- a PhD from an international research university in such fields as: neuroscience, applied mathematics, physics, engineering
- a strong background in mathematical and computational modelling in neuroscience.
- ability to work in a team,
- fluent English
- relevant experience is an asset although not required
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Boris Gutkin, head of the Theoretical Neuroscience Group
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research in parallel with working on research projects in collaboration with other groups in the Center for Cognition and Decision Making and the Institute for Cognitive Neuroscience broad areas
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of CCDM
- participation in organization of the events and other contribution to the Lab’s development
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the researchers in the field and the broader academic community
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The School offers access to its databases and analytical software, as well as to the computing cluster based on high-performance computers.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring department may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 9, 2020.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience – visit official web-site or contact Boris Gutkin directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.