Postdoctoral Fellow in the field of Enterprise Competitiveness and Effectiveness
Institute for Industrial and Market Studies (IIMS) at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in the field of Enterprise Competitiveness and Effectiveness.
Recent global, regional and local economic trends and various crises challenged the performance and development of industries and enterprises both in developed and developing economies. Firm’s reaction and adaptation to new conditions and challenges might result in a shift in market structure, trends and enterprise behavior. The current IIMS research project focuses on empirical studies the identification of key external and internal factors affecting performance indicators, innovation and investment activity of enterprises. The studies are concentrated mostly on Russian industrial enterprises due to a solid databases collected on Russian manufacturing firm’s performance and competitiveness, however, research on other countries data as well as comparative analysis if highly encouraged. A successful candidate is free to join already existing projects or pursue a new research agenda of mutual interest.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centers and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- a PhD from an international research university in Economics, International Economics, Political Science (got during last 5 years but before the start of the program);
- a background in data analysis or theoretical modelling;
- ability to work in a team;
- for empirical researchers strong quantitative skills, ability to carry out research using Stata/R/Python or similar software to meet standards of academic journals;
- submission of at least one working paper per year to HSE working papers series;
- full-time research with at least two presentations of results during the year;
- peer-reviewed publications, working papers or a job market paper in the field will be a strong advantage;
- knowledge of Russian is appreciated but is not required.
The position involves:
- working in a research group with Prof. Andrei Yakovlev;
- postdoctoral fellows are encouraged to pursue their own research in parallel with working on IIMS's research projects in two broad areas:
- Empirical studies of the enterprise performance;
- Laboratory as well as field (online) experiments concerning different factors affecting firms effectiveness and competitiveness.
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals with affiliation to the IIMS;
- some methodological classes as well as presentations of the candidate’s own research to researchers in the field are also encouraged;
- participation in organization of the events and other contribution to the Institute’s development.
The Institute offers access to its databases, analytical software and methodological support. Members of the Institute have substantial experience on empirical analysis of enterprise competitiveness factors and conduct surveys, online experiments with firms and public organizations in Russia. The IIMS has databases on the competitiveness of Russian manufacturing enterprises conducted in 2009, 2014 and 2018, databases on the population of public and private firms’ with a broad spectrum of financial and corporate information since 2011. It also has data on economic, political and social development in Russian regions as well as information about Russian regional and federal elites. Available data enables to conduct a comprehensive empirical analysis of Russian firm’s effectiveness and competitiveness and empirically test theoretical models.
Appointments are normally made for one year (from September 2021). Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring center may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Institute for Industrial and Market Studies (IIMS) HSE in Moscow, Russia – official web-site of the Institute
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.