Postdoctoral Fellow in Education
The Higher School of Economics Laboratory for Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of empirical and theoretical research in the problems of human capital components, mechanisms of development and effects upon socio-economic dynamics on the global and national level. In terms of disciplinary focus, this implies, primarily, economic sociology, general sociology and sociology of education.
The Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research (HSE Institute of Education) is a young and actively developing competence center in the field, which remains one of the most interesting and puzzling in the world. We focus on relationship between the education system, human characteristics and socio-economic results both on individual and collective (including country) level. We carry out analytical and consulting assistance to state policy in the field of education and human capital in general. The main areas of research:
- The effects of education (in the broadest sense): opportunities and limitations, factors and mechanisms;
- Development and testing of tools for measuring educational results;
- Mechanisms for the formation of key, from the point of view of socio-economic returns, educational results at the individual and collective level.
Head of the Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research: Pavel Sorokin
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centers and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of economic sociology, general sociology and sociology of education or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in sociological methodology and theory, economic theory, design and implementation of empirical research; they also are required to have some econometric skills, ability to work in team and with students.
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Pavel Sorokin, Head of Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working on Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research projects such as:
- The structure of human capital in the 21st century: conceptualization and empirical testing
- The entrepreneurial element of human capital – rediscovering the idea of T.Schultz
- Entrepreneurial university: the indicators, factors and effects
All the listed projects are grounded in cooperation with the leading international scholars and institutions like Stanford University (J.W.Meyer), World Bank (Harry Patrinos), Ludger Woessmann (Munich), and others.
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the Lab;
- participation in the events of the Lab and other contribution to the Lab’s development (like, for instance, the annual summer school on human capital issues, organized jointly with the World Bank);
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research offers access to its international networks databases and analytical software.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 9, 2020.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Laboratory for Human Capital and Education Research – visit official web-site of the Laboratory or contact Pavel Sorokin directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.