Postdoctoral Fellow in Linguistics
The Higher School of Economics School of Linguistics in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in one of the following fields: second language acquisition, computational linguistics, machine learning, corpus linguistics, Slavic languages, computational lexicography, typology, lexical semantics, construction grammar, sociolinguistics, history of language.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of linguistics, Slavic languages, or computer science, or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in computational, experimental, field, corpus or theoretical methods in linguistics, ability to work in a team, conduct and publish high quality research.
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Ekaterina Rakhilina;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working on School of Linguistics research projects such as:
- Learner corpora building
- Typological corpora building
- Corpus of children speech
- Learner dictionaries
- Linguistic variation
- Russian sign language
- Database of Russian constructions (Constructicon)
- Database of diachronic changes
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the School of Linguistics;
- participation in the events of the the School of Linguistics and other contribution to the School’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The School of Linguistics offers access its databases and electronic resources.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring school may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 9, 2020.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the School of Linguistics – official web-site of the School of Linguistics or contact Ekaterina Rakhilina or Valentina Apresyan directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.