Postdoctoral Fellow in the field of Public Procurement, Auctions and Market Structure
Institute for Industrial and Market Studies (IIMS) at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in the field of Public Procurement and Auctions.
Public procurement is a dynamically developing field in both developed and developing countries. The extensive and detailed data on public procurement expenditures and the actively evolving regulation enable researchers to empirically test the findings of auction theory and propose optimal legislative boundaries for procurement regulation. In addition, an interaction between retail and procurement markets opens new opportunities for such research. The current project of IIMS studies the effectiveness of public procurement in Russia, Slovakia, Kazakhstan, as well as the impact of institutions, market structures and regional elites on its effectiveness. The IIMS primarily focuses on empirical studies of public procurement in the Post-Soviet countries, while theoretical research in auctions and empirical research in the field of public procurement, exploiting data from other countries, are also encouraged. A successful candidate is free to join existing projects or pursue a new research agenda of mutual interest. The candidate can spend up to 50% of the research time on the agenda of their interest. For more details about participants and current projects see https://iims.hse.ru/en/eapp.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
● a Ph.D. from an international research university in Economics, Public Policy and Public Administration (awarded during last 5 years but before the start of the program);
● a background in data analysis or theoretical modeling;
● ability to work in a team;
● for empirical researchers, strong quantitative skills, ability to carry out research using Stata/R/Python or similar software to meet standards of academic journals;
● submission of at least one working paper per year to HSE working papers series;
● full-time research with at least two presentations of results during the year;
● peer-reviewed publications, working papers, or a job market paper in the field will be a strong advantage;
● knowledge of Russian is appreciated but is not required.
The position involves:
- working in a research group with Prof. Andrei Yakovlev and Dr. Andrey Tkachenko;
- postdoctoral fellows are encouraged to pursue their research (up to 50% of the time ) in parallel with working on IIMS's research projects in three broad areas:
o Empirical studies of the public procurement;
o Laboratory as well as field (online) experiments concerning different forms of interactions between government, business, and public buyers.
o Theoretical modeling of procurement auctions from the perspective of incentives and information;
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals with affiliation to the IIMS;
- some methodological classes as well as presentations of the candidate’s research to researchers in the field are also encouraged;
- participation in the organization of the events and other contributions to the Institute’s development.
The Institute offers access to its databases, analytical software and methodological support. Members of the Institute have substantial experience in the empirical analysis of procurement auctions and conduct surveys, online experiments with firms and public organizations in Russia. The IIMS has databases on the population of public procurement auctions in Russia during 2011-2021, databases on the population of public and private firms with a broad spectrum of financial and corporate information since 2011. It also has data on economic, political and social development in Russian regions as well as information about Russian regional and federal elites. Available data enables to conduct of a comprehensive empirical analysis of procurement auctions and empirically test theoretical models.
Appointments are normally made for one year (from September 2022). Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity to renewal the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer, and free Internet access at the University.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest, and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to thehiring center may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is January 31, 2022.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship -Frequently Asked Questions;
- about HSE university –official web-site;
- about the Institute for Industrial and Market Studies and the project on Public Procurement in Moscow, Russia –official website of the Project or contact Valeriya Kotelnikova, a manager of the institute, directly;
- about international specialists' life in Moscow -International Faculty Support .
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Выделите её, нажмите Ctrl+Enter и отправьте нам уведомление. Спасибо за участие!
Сервис предназначен только для отправки сообщений об орфографических и пунктуационных ошибках.