Postdoctoral Fellow in Area Studies
School of International Regional Studies in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of Area Studies.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centers and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of Area Studies, Development studies, International Relations, or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in energy security, climate changes, demography and immigration studies, and/or sociolinguistics, ability to work in team, be familiar with both quantitative and qualitative methods, and conduct research in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and/or Russian languages.
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of V.Vishnyakova, Head of School of International Regional Studies;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working with members of the School on topics such as:
- energy security;
- climate changes;
- water policy, virtual water trade, water conflicts;
- critical security studies;
- theories of regionalism;
- discursive methodologies.
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the School;
- participation in the events of the School and other contribution to the School’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the HSE academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The following documents must be submitted via the online special application form:
- a full CV;
- a statement of research interest (no more than 1500 words);
- a recent research paper (no more than 8000 words with references and footnotes).
At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring School may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the School of International Regional Studies – official web-site of the School or contact Murad Sadygzade directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.