Postdoctoral Fellow in Brain-computer Interfaces and Neuroimaging
Center for Bioelectric Interfaces in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of brain-computer interfaces and neuroimaging.
The focus for this post is on development of novel methods for solving EEG and MEG inverse problem (including OPM-based MEG) as well as on real-time EEG acquisition, analysis and investigation of novel techniques for neurofeedback aiming to minimize the feedback signal presentation delay and to improve the performance of brain-computer interfaces by developing advanced signal processing and machine learning algorithms. We expect the familiarity with EEG recording process, linear algebra and digital signal processing along with sound technical skills and the interest and ability to conduct his or her own experiments and maintain the hardware. There is also an opportunity to work with invasively recorded multichannel ECoG data including experimental planning and data acquisition aimed at development of prosthetic control and communication applications of the invasive BCI technology.
The laboratory is a structural part of the HSE’s Institute for cognitive neuroscience with ample collaboration opportunities within Russia and internationally. Research facilities include multi-channel EEG, navigated TMS-EEG, behavioral and eye-tracking equipment, as well as local access to MEG, fMRI. The Neuroimaging Group operates in a close collaboration with Moscow MEG Centre, Skolkovo Institute of Technology, Yandex company, University of Southern California Medical School, Aalto University, Finland.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Eligible candidates should hold a PhD degree in Electrical engineering, Computer Science, Neuroscience, Physics or applied mathematics.
- Previous experience with analysis of non-invasive EEG and MEG neuroimaging data is required
- Experience of hardware maintenance and design is a big plus
- Familiarity with basic signal processing methods and appreciation of real-time processing constraints
- Demonstrated familiarity with software development in at least of the following environments: Matlab, Python, R, C/C++
- Knowledge of the modern software packages implementing the deep learning methodology is a plus
- Fluent English (knowledge of Russian is not required)
- Demonstrated ability and high motivation to conduct high-quality research publishable in international peer-reviewed journalsRelevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of professor Alexei Ossadtchi, Ph.D.
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working on Center for Bioelectric Interfaces research projects such as:
- ECoG based BCI for control and communication
- Lag-invariant detection of functional coupling from MEG data
- Fine-grained decoding of wrist movements using multichannel surface myography
- Solving inverse problem of EEG and MEG using cortical wave priors
- Development of an MEG system using optically pumped magnetometers
- Novel methods for analysis of interictal MEG activity in patients with epilepsy
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the Center for Bioelectric Interfaces;
- participation in the events of the Center for Bioelectric Interfaces and HSE’s Institute for Cognitive Neuroscience and other contribution to the Lab’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The Сenter provides access to
- multimodal neuroimaging facilities (mobile EEG, MEG, OPM-MEG, electromyography, polygraphic measurements eye-tracking and a virtual reality setup)
- access to patients with implanted ECoG grids and depth electrodes
- neuromodulation equipment (brain-navigated TMS, tDCS, tACS)
- a virtual reality setup and high performance computing facilities
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via the online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring laboratory/centre/department may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Center for Bioelectric Interfaces – bioelectric.hse.ru/en/ or contact Alexei Ossadtchi [firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com] directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.