Postdoctoral Fellow in Culture Management, Sociology of Culture, Cultural Economics
St. Petersburg, Russia
The Laboratory of Cultural Economics in St. Petersburg (LEC), Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of management of cultural organizations (institutions), who will participate in the research of the cultural institutions’ activities under new quarantine and post-quarantine environment and strategic challenges, that cultural institutions will face in the short to medium term.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic, and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centers and over 50 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
About the Laboratory of Cultural Economics
The Laboratory cooperates extensively with third-party organizations (organizations of creative industries, museums, non-profit organizations, etc.) in order to conduct research in the field of cultural economics to assess modern changes (digitalization, post-quarantine period) in the field of art management. The Laboratory staff is dedicated to high-quality empirical data collection and high-quality research in large-scale surveys. The role of the Laboratory is to help cultural decision-makers improve the management of cultural and creative industry institutions, as well as introduce new results into student learning.
The mission of the Laboratory is to provide a professional and creative intellectual environment for the fruitful work of researchers in the field of culture management, sociology of culture, cultural economics, or related areas.
Our research partners include are the Union of Russian museums, the State Hermitage, the State Russian museum.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of culture management, sociology of culture, cultural economics or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in social and managerial research methodology, qualitative or quantitative methods, mixed methods research;
- strong quantitative skills, ability to carry out research using Stata/R/similar software to meet standards of academic journals;
- ability to work in team, excellent communication skills and publication record;
- ability to conduct research of digital transformation processes.
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
working under the direct supervision of Valery E. Gordin, Head of the Laboratory of Cultural Economics
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research (40%) along with working on LEC’s research projects (60%) such as:
- Management of cultural institutions: new realities and new challenges;
- Youth as a driver of museum development supported by the General Consulate of the Kingdom of the Netherlands;
- EDU - Creating New Customer Value Through Cross - Border Cooperation (EDUCRO);
- Systematic approach to transformation of the digital museum space, supported by the Basic Research Program of the NRU HSE.
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals single-handedly and/or in co-authorship with the members of the Laboratory of Cultural Economics;
- participation in the events of the Laboratory of Cultural Economics and other contribution to the LEC’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic and professional community;
- participation in the organization of the events and other contribution to the laboratory’s development;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The Laboratory of Cultural Economics offers access to its research materials and provides workplace as appropriate.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring Laboratory of Cultural Economics may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Laboratory of Cultural Economics – official web-site of the LEC or contact Anastasia Polomarchuk, LEC’s manager, directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.