Postdoctoral Fellow in Historical Political Economy
The Higher School of Economics Laboratory for International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID) in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of historical political economy with preferred (though not required) focus on Russia and other post-Communist countries.
A burgeoning body of literature uses evidence from the past in order to test institutional economics and political science theories. Russia, with its rich history, profound variation in institutional environments across time and space, ethnolinguistic and religious diversity is still underexplored within this literature despite the strong potential it offers for making an important contribution. Our Center is currently looking for an ambitious researcher ready to contribute to the exploratory effort on the long-term determinants of economic development of Russia and other Post-Soviet states using state-of-the-art statistical techniques. We would also welcome promising topics dealing with other spatial or temporal contexts.
Current projects undertaken by the Center’s fellows in the field of economic history concentrate mostly on long-term consequences of both extractive and inclusive institutions, like serfdom, Alexander II’s liberal reforms of the mid-XIX century, Soviet-era political persecutions and development efforts. Available datasets include digitalized Russian census publications and statistical yearbooks since the late XIX century covering topics like demographics, human capital, agriculture, manufacturing and services, together with contemporary social surveys. We are particularly interested in applications by candidates willing to integrate datasets from external sources, like RIStat Russian historical statistics database, Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey, World Values Survey, and Life in Transition Survey with the datasets compiled within the Center. A successful candidate is free to join the already existing projects or pursue a new research agenda of mutual interest.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- a PhD in economics, political science, public policy, economic geography, sociology, or history (got during last 5 years but before the start of the program);
- a strong background in the fields of economic history and quantitative political economy;
- strong quantitative skills, ability to carry out research using Stata/R/similar software to meet standards of academic journals;
- peer-reviewed publications, working papers or a job market paper in the field will be a strong advantage;
- knowledge of GIS software and/or programming skills will be a valuable asset;
- ability to work in a team;
- ability to understand and communicate in Russian is not a requirement but will be a plus;
- fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English.
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working in a research group with Dr. Ekaterina Borisova and Dr. Denis Ivanov;
- collaboration with other ICSID researchers, including those from foreign Universities;
- taking part in ICSID research projects/pursuing independent research;
- publishing papers in peer-reviewed academic journals in economics, political science, regional studies, public policy, history, sociology;
- presenting research results at seminars and conferences;
- participation in organization of the ICSID events and other contribution to the Lab’s development.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The Center offers access to its unique databases on socio-economic indicators of the Russian regions, political elites and historical roots of institutions in Russia. ICSID also provides all necessary support for research such as up-to-date analytical software, funding for attendance at international conferences and research assistantship. Moreover, the HSE library provides access to a large collection of academic journals.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via the online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring center may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID) in Moscow, Russia – official web-site of the Centre
or contact Valeriya Kotelnikova, a manager of the center directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.