Postdoctoral Fellow in Human Geography
Faculty of Geography and Geoinformation Technologies in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in the field of Human geography with a focus on spatial resilience and/or spatial-temporal dynamics of urban systems.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of Human geography or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in quantitative methods employed in Human geography and knowledge of specific software packages; knowledge of GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS). They should be familiar with mix-methods approach and field research; be able to work in a team, as well as conduct independent research.
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required, but is beneficial;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of the Faculty dean, associate professor Nikolay Kurichev;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working on the Faculty’s research project: ‘Interrelations between spatial differentiation of human potential and territorial resilience taking into account socio-economic and natural factors’
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals, including in co-authorship with the members of the Faculty;
- participation in the events of the Faculty and other contribution to the Faculty development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
Faculty of Geography and Geoinformation Technologies provides access to its databases and analytical software (ArcGIS, Global Mapper, Scanex Image Processor, Agisoft Metashape), as well as contacts with experts in the research field area, library resources of HSE.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via the online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring Faculty may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Faculty of Geography and Geoinformation Technologies –https://geography.hse.ru/en/ or contact Maria Gunko directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.