Postdoctoral Fellow in International Relations
The Higher School of Economics International Laboratory for the Study of World Order and the New Regionalism at the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs of the Higher School of Economics in Moscow invites applications for postdoctoral positions to play a key role in laboratory’s research projects in the following academic fields:
· BRICS studies, evolution of the BRICS powers strategies towards the global economic, financial and security institutions
· Asia-Pacific regionalism and transformation of the regional international system
· Russia in the Asia-Pacific and Russia-China relations
· Rise of China, domestic and international origins of
· Russian strategy in Eurasia: integration initiatives, relations with Eurasian powers and emergence of the new Eurasian regionalism
· Theoretical analysis of Russia’s foreign policy
The last several decades have witnessed the ever-increasing spread of regional institutions and informal initiatives. This wave of the new regionalism opens up some key question regarding the long-term perspective of the global world order: Do regional institutions, régimes, and organizations contribute to global governance (e.g., financial stability, free trade, sustainable development, etc.)? Or, does regionalism fragment the global system and weaken its manageability? Do rising powers influence this trend and how can they use it to their advantage? The current projects undertaken by the Laboratory adopt a multidisciplinary approach, and f focusing on the different factors influencing the evolution of the global international system, with a strong emphasis on deep regional studies. The laboratory’s projects include such topics as the influence of Russia and other emerging powers on the evolution of the global order and the system of global governance (focusing on Russia’s role in BRICS and Russia-China rapprochement); the development of regional and mega-regional integration projects and initiatives such as the Russia’s Eurasian initiatives: Eurasian Economic Union and Greater Eurasian partnership, China’s Belt and Road projects and other regional initiatives and integration formats. Specific attention is paid to rise of China and its structural consequences for the international system and Russia-China rapprochement.
As a part of a research unit with a strong culture of collaboration, the postdoctoral fellow will be expected to spend about half of their time leading collaborative research projects of their own design and about half on working with the research staff of the Laboratory.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of international relations, international political economy, foreign policy, regional integration or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in theory of international relations, in particular – study of the new regionalism, ability to work in team, conduct research, excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines. advanced quantitative or qualitative research methods skills that meet the standards of academic peer-review publications will be a strong advantage
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- Working under the supervision of Dr. Richard Sakwa and/or Dr. Alexander Lukin ;
- Сonducting research within the Laboratory’s conceptual framework;
- Сollaboration with other researchers affiliated with the Laboratory, including those from foreign Universities;
- Taking part in the Laboratory’s research projects/pursuing independent research;
- Participation in the Laboratory’s events;
- Disseminating research findings through writing academic papers for top international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the Laboratory and oral public presentations;
- Teaching is not required; though teaching opportunities will be available, including teaching for thethe Faculty of World Economy and International ’s double-degree programs with the London School of Economics and University of Kent
- Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
- HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via the online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring the Laboratory may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the International Laboratory of World Order Studies and the New Regionalism – visit official web-site of the Laboratory or contact Dmitrii Novikov directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.