Postdoctoral Fellow in Mathematics
The HSE University Faculty of Mathematics (FM), jointly with the Steklov Mathematical Institute (Steklov International Mathematical Center, SIMC) in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in Mathematics and Mathematical Physics.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
About the HSE Faculty of Mathematics
HSE is a young, dynamic, fast-growing Russian research university providing unique research opportunities. The Faculty of Mathematics was opened in 2008. Since then, it has become a leading place in Russia for attracting researchers in Mathematics and mathematical students. The Faculty has Bachelors, Masters and Ph.D. programs in Mathematics. It collaborates with the Steklov Mathematical Institute, the Institute for Information Transmission Problems, and the Lebedev Physical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (world renowned research institutes). Jointly with the Independent University of Moscow, the Faculty publishes the Moscow Mathematical Journal and runs 'Math in Moscow', a “study abroad” program for international students. Among our faculty members are distinguished researchers, including 15 invited ICM speakers; we have the best concentration in Russia of highly motivated students majoring in mathematics.
Affiliated with the Faculty of Mathematics are the following international research units:
- International Laboratory of Algebraic Geometry and its Applications
(Academic Supervisor – F.Bogomolov)
- HSE – Skoltech International Laboratory of Representation Theory and Mathematical Physics
(Academic Supervisor – A. Okounkov)
- International Laboratory of Mirror Symmetry and Automorphic Forms
(Academic Supervisor – L. Katzarkov)
About the Steklov Mathematical Institute
Steklov Mathematical Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences is the leading Russian research institute in mathematics. Steklov International Mathematical Center (SIMC) was established here in 2019 to advance the international activities of the Institute. Within SIMC an international postdoctoral program is now opened.
Steklov Mathematical Institute hosts around 135 research staff including 17 academicians and 15 corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Researchers include the winners of the Fields Medal, Rolf Nevanlinna Prize, Claude E. Shannon Award, European Mathematical Society Prize, 27 invited speakers at the International Congress of Mathematicians. There were invited speakers from Steklov Mathematical Institute at all ICMs since 1954.
The unique environment at Steklov Mathematical Institute covers the research in all the main areas of mathematics: algebra, algebraic geometry, mathematical logic, number theory, geometry and topology, complex analysis, functional analysis, differential equations, mechanics, probability theory, mathematical and theoretical physics, quantum information. The Institute hosts twelve of the top Russian journals in mathematics including Russian Mathematical Surveys, Sbornik: Mathematics, Izvestiya: Mathematics. It also hosts the online platform Math-Net.Ru containing a wealth of information on mathematics in Russia.
Steklov Mathematical Institute offers a pool of intensive courses for graduate students and strong undergrads in various fields of mathematics. It regularly holds international conferences and attracts many mathematicians who visit its research seminars. The Institute offers to its staff comfortable working spaces with all necessary facilities needed for successful research. At the same time, the Institute is a relatively small body with a warm atmosphere of a home full of friends and enthusiastic people.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD (or equivalent, including Russian Candidate of Science degree) in the field of Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in and an established research record in Mathematics or Mathematical Physics; ability to work in a team;
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Applicants are requested to indicate a preferred research unit (FM or SIMC)
The position involves:
- joining one of our research groups within the FM or the SIMC (see below) in performing high-quality research – every successful candidate will be offered a position either in the FM or in the SIMC;
- pursuing independent research in Mathematics or Mathematical Physics in parallel with working on joint projects of the FM and SIMC;
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals;
- participation in organization of the events and other contribution to the development of Moscow mathematics;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the researchers in the field and the broader academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The FM or the SIMC provides a working place and offers access to all research facilities and services available to its faculty members and researchers, including computational software and library resources.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring Centre for Sociocultural Research may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 9, 2020.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Faculty of Mathematics – official web-site of the Faculty or contact Ms. Natalia Lisetskaya directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.