Postdoctoral Fellow in Medieval Studies
The Higher School of Economics Centre for Medieval Studies in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of Medieval Studies
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
General requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are as follows:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of Medieval Studies, Byzantine Studies, Medieval Economic History or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in research work in the listed fields, modern and medieval languages, ability to work in a team;
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Prof. Dr. Mikhail Boytsov;
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research along with working on the Centre for Medieval Studies research projects such as:
- Political Symbolism in the Middle Ages
- Ancient Rus’ Studies
- Medieval Scandinavian Studies
- Medieval Cultural Studies
- Byzantine Studies
- Medieval Christian Archeology
- Christian Traditions in Medieval European Culture;
- Economic History of the Middle Ages and Early Modern Period;
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals individually and/or in co-authorship with the members of the Centre for Medieval Studies;
- participation in the events of the Centre and other contribution to the Centre’s development (including the development of the Centre’s English website);
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via the online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring centre may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 14, 2021.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Centre for Medieval Studies – official web-site of the Centre or contact Maria Aleksandrova directly
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.