Electoral Clientelism (International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development)
The International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID) at the Higher School of Economics (HSE) in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in the field of political economy with a focus on electoral clientelism in an imperfect institutional environment and especially under limited political competition. We expect that the postdoctoral researcher will focus on Russian empirical data available at ICSID, but we are also interested in electoral clientelism in other settings as well. Candidates are welcome to propose other research topics that will be of mutual interest.
The position involves:
- working under the supervision of Dr. Timothy Frye, Ora John Reuter,and David Szakonyi
- possibility to collaborate with the ICSID team and associate fellows.
- taking part in the ICSID’s research projects/pursuing independent research;
- publishing papers in peer-reviewed academic journals in economics, political science, regional studies, public policy, history, sociology;
- presenting research results at ICSID seminars and conferences;
- participation in the organization of ICSID events.
The Center offers access to its unique databases on socio-economic indicators of the Russian regions, political elites and historical roots of institutions in Russia. ICSID also provides all necessary support for research such as up-to-date analytical software, funding for attendance at international conferences and research assistantship. Moreover, the HSE library provides access to a large collection of academic journals.
- a PhD in political science, economics, sociology, public policy, or government;
- strong quantitative skills, ability to carry out research using Stata/R/similar software to meet standards of academic journals;
- peer-reviewed publications, working papers or a job market paper in the field will be a strong advantage;
- ability to work in a team;
- ability to understand and communicate in Russian is not a requirement but will be a plus.
General conditions for Post-Doctoral Research positions can be found here. Appointments will be normally made for one year.
A CV and research statement should be submitted via online application form while two letters of recommendation should be submitted by the referees directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2019. Please note that direct applications to the Center may not be reviewed.
HSE is a young, dynamic, fast-growing Russian research university providing unique research opportunities. For more information about HSE, please visit: International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID)
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.