School of International Regional Studies (Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs)
The Higher School of Economics School of International Regional Studies invites applications for postdoctoral positions to play a key role in research projects in the following academic fields:
1. Asian Studies
2. European Studies
3. Ibero-American Studies
4. Post-Soviet and Russian Studies
5. North American Studies
6. Linguistic and Cultural Studies
The School of International Regional Studies is one of the leading Russian research and educational centers designed to revive international regional studies in Russia as an academic discipline.
The research projects are staffed by influential regional studies specialists who play key roles in both international and state-sponsored projects. Seeking to revive international regional studies as an academic discipline, the School works to increase the number of high-quality and authoritative publications in the field and engages young academics, PhDs, and Master’s students in its research activities. Faculty members with real-world experience and many years of working abroad are involved in all areas of the department’s work. The combination of outstanding staff, strong research potential, and proven experience enables the department to carry out top-level academic, research, and educational projects, as well as government-funded research.
As a part of a research unit with a strong culture of collaboration, the postdoctoral fellow will be expected to spend at least half of their working time leading collaborative research projects of their own design and about half on working with the research staff of the School of International Regional Studies.
The job involves:
- Working under the supervision of Vera Vishnyakova - Head of School of International Regional Studies and Associate Professor of Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs with interests in the field of Korean studies, Denis Shcherbakov - Academic Supervisor of Programme ‘HSE and Kyung Hee University Double Degree Programme in Economics and Politics in Asia’ and Associate Professor of Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs with interests in Japan studies, Bordachev Timofey – Director of Centre for Comprehensive European and International Studies (CCEIS) and Associate Professor of Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs with interest in Eurasian studies;
- conducting research within the conceptual framework of the study group;
- collaboration with other researchers affiliated with the School of International Regional Studies and the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, including those from foreign Universities;
- taking part in the research projects;
- participation in the academic events, conferences and discussions;
- disseminating research findings through writing academic papers for top international peer-reviewed journals in (including those in co-authorship with HSE fellows) or through oral public presentations;
- teaching is not required but highly expected for Bachelor’s Programme «HSE and Kyung Hee University Double Degree Programme in Economics and Politics in Asia»
- a Ph.D. in political science, international development, economics, public policy, or a related discipline awarded before September 2019;
- excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines;
- a strong track record of publications appropriate for the candidate’s academic standing;
- English language proficiency.
- advanced quantitative or qualitative research methods skills that meet the standards of academic peer-review publications will be a strong advantage;
- peer-reviewed publications, working papers or a job market paper in the field will be a strong advantage;
- knowledge of the Russian language is not a requirement but will be a plus.
General conditions for Post-Doctoral Research positions can be found here. Appointments are normally made for one year.
A CV and research statement should be submitted via online application form and two letters of recommendation should be submitted by the referees directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2019. Please note that direct applications to the hiring division may not be reviewed.
HSE is a young, dynamic, fast-growing Russian research university providing unique research opportunities.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.