Legal studies (International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development)
The International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID) at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in the field of legal studies.
For more than 20 years after the beginning of economic transition the problem of independence of courts, development of a legal community and estimation of the quality of the law enforcement system has remained important for Russia. In 2014 ICSID researchers finished a pilot project that examined the demand for collective actions of attorneys with different ethical standards and attitudes to client rights violations, and that was based on a survey of 372 attorneys in 9 Russian regions. In 2015 ICSID team carried out a representative survey of 3,317 advocates in 35 regions of Russia. The survey was conducted using a formalized questionnaire distributed through regional branches of the Federal Chamber of Attorneys of Russia.
Topics of interest include access and demand for attorneys with different specialization in Russian regions, lawyers’ estimations of the quality of work of different law enforcement agencies, professional ethics of attorneys and legal education, collective action in the legal profession, etc. Successful candidates will participate in ongoing research on these topics at ICSID. Candidates whose research contains a comparative perspective or focuses on other contexts than Russia are also encouraged to apply.
Researchers are invited to use other databases of ICSID, e.g. a database on economic and political indicators for the Russian regions, a dataset about biographies and connections of 897 governors and representatives of the federal elite in 2000-2012, 3448 officials from the regional elite (in 2000-2012), 829 mayors (in 1996-2012). We also use other sources of information such as the Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (RLMS), World Value Survey, European Values Study etc.
The job involves:
- working in the research group with Dr. Andrei Yakovlev (email@example.com) and Dr. Anton Kazun (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- possibility to collaborate with the ICSID team and associate fellows.
- successful candidates are encouraged to pursue their own research in parallel with the ongoing research at ICSID
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with ICSID researchers
- some teaching as well as one or two public presentations of the candidate’s own research are also encouraged
- participation in organization of events and other contributions to the development of ICSID
- a PhD in Legal Studies, Law and Economics, Political Science, Public Policy or Sociology
- ability to work in a team;
- quantitative skills, ability to carry out research using Stata/R/SPSS/ similar software to meet standards of academic journals;
- peer-reviewed publications, working papers or a job market paper in the field will be a strong advantage;
- working language is English, knowledge of the Russian language is an asset, but is not required
General conditions for Post-Doctoral Research positions can be found here. Appointments will be normally made for one year.
A CVand research statement should be submitted via online application form while two letters of recommendation should be submitted by the referees directly to email@example.com by February 15, 2019. Please note that direct applications to the Center may not be reviewed.
HSE is a young, dynamic, fast-growing Russian research university providing unique research opportunities. For more information about HSE, please visit: International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID)
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.