Laboratory for Internet Studies (St. Petersburg)
The Higher School of Economics Laboratory for Internet Studies in St. Petersburg, Russia invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of interdisciplinary internet research (for the purposes of computational social science).
The job involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Dr. Elena (Olessia) Koltsova;
- pursuing participant’s individual research in parallel with working on Laboratory’s research projects in one of several broad areas:
o mathematical modeling and algorithm development for internet content analysis;
o computational linguistics and machine learning for automatic text analysis;
o network analysis approaches to internet research;
o user behavior analysis applying approaches from sociology, psychology, political science, media studies or related social science disciplines.
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the Lab;
- participation in organization of the events and other contribution to the Lab’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s individual research to the researchers in the field and the broader academic community.
Some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
The Lab offers access to its large databases of Internet data and its analytical software.
- a PhD from an international research university in such fields as: mathematics, computer science, social science and humanities with strong quantitative focus (sociology, psychology, political science, media studies, linguistics and some others);
- a strong background either in mathematical modeling / algorithm development OR in research design and its application in the sphere of computational social science / computational linguistics;
- at least elementary scripting skills;
- ability to work in a team;
- fluent English.
General conditions for Post-Doctoral Research positions can be found here. Appointments will be normally made for one year.
A CV and research statement should be submitted via online application form and two letters of recommendation should be submitted by the referees directly to email@example.com by February 15, 2019. Please note that direct applications to the hiring laboratory may not be reviewed.
HSE is a young, dynamic, fast-growing Russian research university providing unique research opportunities. For more information about HSE, please visit: the website of St.Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Areas Studies and St.Petersburg School of Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science or contact Dr. Olessia Koltsova directly.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.