Postdoctoral Fellow in the Interdisciplinary Field of Social & Cognitive Informatics
International Laboratory for Social and Cognitive Informatics (the successor of the Laboratory for Internet Studies)
St. Petersburg, Russia
The Higher School of Economics International Laboratory for Social and Cognitive Informatics in St. Petersburg, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the interdisciplinary field of social & cognitive informatics.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centres and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in such fields as: mathematics, computer science, cognitive science or social science with strong quantitative focus (sociology, psychology, political science, linguistics and some others); which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background either in mathematical modeling/ algorithm development OR in research design and its application in the sphere of computational social science/ computational & experimental linguistics/ experimental cognitive science & psychology; ability to work in team/ conduct research/ write scripts;
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Dr. Elena (Olessia) Koltsova;
- pursuing participant’s individual research in parallel with working on Laboratory’s research projects in one of several broad areas:
- mathematical modeling and algorithm development for textual content analysis;
- computational linguistics and machine learning for automatic text analysis;
- cognitive and sociological experiments and surveys, including online-based and based on eye-tracking technologies;
- network analysis approaches to user behavior research;
- user behavior analysis applying approaches from sociology, psychology, political science, or related social science subfields with strong quantitative focus.
- writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals in co-authorship with the members of the Lab;
- participation in the events of the Lab and other contribution to the Lab’s development;
- public presentations of candidate’s own research to the academic community;
- some teaching is encouraged, though not required.
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
The Lab offers access to its large databases of Internet data and its analytical software.
Applications must be submitted online. Please provide a CV, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper submitted via an online application form. At least two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the International Faculty Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline. Please note that direct applications to the hiring laboratory may not be reviewed.
Read more about the application process here.
The deadline for the applications is February 9, 2020.
For more information:
- about Postdoctoral Fellowship - Frequently Asked Questions
- about HSE university – official web-site
- about the Laboratory – visit official web-site of the Laboratory or contact Dr. Olessia Koltsova directly (or the Lab’s manager Alina Kolycheva)
- about international specialists' life in Moscow - International Faculty Support page
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the International Faculty Recruitment Office at email@example.com
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.