Frequently Asked Questions
About the Track
The Senior Part-Timers track of international recruitment is aimed at building strong research collaborations and international teams through inviting academics with extensive experience in the field who already have a tenure at their home university. These leading researchers are expected to be leaders in their fields, and play an important role in international conferences and academic exchange.
A candidate for a part-time senior position must meet the following requirements:
- Have a tenured position at an internationally recognized university and be perceived by his/her international peer as an important contributor to the respective disciplines
- A position on editorial boards of major journals would be highly desirable
- Be prepared to commit to HSE University for a minimum of 3 years on some type of part-time, non-residential basis
It is not an open call track, and prospective candidates are proposed by HSE University departments. Under the part-time contract the employers spend only a part of the academic year in Russia, helping to establish and develop research teams, providing guidance to junior colleagues, and co-authoring research publications with HSE faculty members.
An HSE University structural unit (faculty, department, laboratory, centre, etc.) willing to hire a part-time senior is to fill in the application form and submit a set of documents:
- CV of the senior hire
- Consent to personal data collecting and processing (the template can be found here: Consent)
- Research project description (the template can be found here: Research Project Description)
- Duties of the unit coordinator (the template can be found here: Duties of the Unit Coordinator)
- Research project efficiency indicators (the template can be found here: Research Project Efficiency Coordinators)
The applications are considered by the International Recruiting Committee and successful candidates will receive offers.
1. Once the part-time senior accepts the offer, he/she will need to provide a set of documents:
- Copy of passport
- Preferable transcription of name in Russian (if applicable)
- Copy of PhD certificate (in English, or translated into English or Russian)
- Copy of diploma / degree (in English, or translated into English or Russian)
- CV with exact postal address and the list of publications
- Bank details - an employee is to fill in an application form for a Russian bank card
- Copy of SNILS (= a document that contains an insurance account number, if applicable)
- Copy of valid Russian visa (if applicable)
2. As soon as the draft of the contract is prepared, the HR department will send it to the part-time senior via e-mail and ask to print it out, sign and send to HSE University.
The general process – from accepting the offer to signing the work contract – takes around 1 month (provided that all the required documents are submitted on time).
Work at HSE University
Part-timers are kindly asked to keep in touch with their immediate supervisors and coordinators at HSE University for contract issues, such as employment document flow, business trips, vacation leaves, salary issues, research progress, reports, extension of current work contracts, etc.
If the part-time senior cannot reach his/her coordinator or meets other unexpected difficulties, questions can be addressed to the International Faculty Support Centre at email@example.com.
If the work contract stipulates days of presence in the Russian Federation, these visits are to be documented as business trips and it is implied that they should start and finish at the city which is mentioned in the contract as the place of work. The exact dates of these trips are to be discussed with the immediate supervisor at HSE University. It is very important to know the exact dates at least 2 months before the arrival.
Once the dates are confirmed by all parties, the coordinator will start the document flow concerning the business trip.
NB: Within the current work contract the part-time senior needs to have a Russian work visa each time he/she comes to Russia. HSE University provides a visa invitation for applying for a single-entry work visa.
In case of reimbursement, business trip is to be reported to the University accounting office within 3 business days upon arrival. Please visit this page to see the requirements to the reporting documents. Please contact your coordinator for further information.
HSE University provides part-time seniors with insurance policy during their visit to the Russian Federation.
While a part-time employee works outside the Russian Federation, HSE University doesn’t deduct any taxes from his/her salary (an employee takes personal responsibility for paying such taxes in the country of his/her residence). Once a part-time employee comes to Russia (both for business tips and vacations), his/her salary is charged 13% or 30% depending on the tax status – for more information please visit this page.
Work contracts of part-time seniors describe the frequency when reports are to be provided to HSE University. Overall reports are to be submitted no later than 1 month prior to the contract end date (alongside with the list of publications + full versions in pdf with HSE affiliation).
Extension and Termination of the Work Contract
At the end of the current work contracts part-time seniors are to present an overall report, a list of publications + their full versions in pdf with HSE affiliation, and a letter of support from the immediate supervisor at HSE University. The International Recruiting Committee will analyze these documents. An extension may be granted following the research progress evaluation.
Variant 1. Once the Part-Time Senior decides to resign from HSE University before the contract expires, he/she is requested to fill in a resignation letter (the template can be found here).
Variant 2. One month prior to the end of the current work contracts part-time seniors are to submit the overall reports (alongside with the list of publications + full versions in pdf with HSE affiliation).
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.